The Town of Maine, located in northwestern Outagamie County, Wisconsin is predominately a rural community. The town covers 30 miles of road and shares borders with the Town of Bovina, Cicero, Deer Creek, and Navarino. A population of approximately 873 enjoys the rural atmosphere, with the Wolf River running through the middle of the town. The town is served by Shiocton, Clintonville, and Seymour Community School Districts, Maine First Responders, the Shiocton-Bovina and Nichols Rural Fire Departments.
According to Shadows on the Wolf, a book produced in 1987 by the Shiocton History Project, the tiny community was founded in 1854 by a group of loggers from Chilton, Maine. The loggers included Paul Greeley, George Speers, David Stinson, and John Whitmore. They came up the Wolf River looking for timber to cut and land to settle. Lumbering was declining in Maine at the time, so they came west looking for more trees. Ironically, the town they left behind, Chilton, no longer appears on maps of Maine.
Posting locations in the Town of Maine; Town Hall, Leeman Market, and Trinity United Church.